Monday, March 09, 2009

My Friend with the Diseased Colon (Update)

My friend is doing a little better. Hopefully, he will be out of the hospital by the end of the week. His colon is gone. It fell apart like crepe paper when the surgeon removed it spilling gut contents (bacteria) into my friend's abdomen. Twenty liters of water later, the surgeon had rinsed out my friend's abdominal cavity. He looks forward to two more reconstructive surgeries over the next 6-9 months, but at least he's not going to die. The care he receives varies from nurse to nurse. Some nurses are great and others not so great. My guess is that they might not have enough nurses per floor. Also, the IV pumps they have are loud and they beep when flow is obstructed or ends which is almost constantly. It is annoying for both the patient and the nurse. Neither gets a break or rest due to the alarms or the noise of the equipment. Thanks for any prayers to a divinity or berating of same for falling down on the job.

Labels:


Comments:
I'll undertake some non-specific spiritual berating - meanwhile I hope your friend feels better John.

Pete
 
Pete,

Thanks. Rich doesn't have a colon any more. He's slowly on the mend, gaining a little strength every day. He's got to be strong and healed for two more reconstructive surgeries.

John
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?