Thursday, October 02, 2008

Crashes

There's a famous YF22 prototype crash. We've seen financial crashes in slow motion the last two months and we'll likely see more to come. In the YF22 crash, the test pilots said that there was no reason for the test that caused the crash, but that management mandated it. They blame management for flying that plane into the ground. We are seeing the same thing happening on Wall Street and in firms that played in the derivatives markets. I'm seeing it at my job as well.

My group is being flown into the ground by mandates issued by my managers from their managers. (This is the weakness of corporate hierarchies - an inability for self-reflection and honest reporting to superiors.) I don't know what the outcome will be, but we are now unable to make internal ticket quotas because standards have been set too high. I'm not sure I'll even make it to December because of the silliness since I am still on probation. I had two phone calls yesterday from recruiters for an IT Security position, but since my company owns the company that's doing the recruiting, I can't be considered for the position which doesn't make sense. There's nothing on the internal corporate jobs search engine about the position, or on the other company's job search engine. So much for HR being on the ball.

Labels:


Comments:
this is sounding increasingly like "atlas shrugged."
 
Or it could be just one big, SNAFU!
 
Hang in there John

In my experience employers are like babies who spit the dummy (pacifier) all too often.

About the YF22 test. I think it was actually for a legitimate reason - to test flaps and other flight controls. The fact the test resulted in a crash highlighted the need for extensive modifications. It has now become the world's best fighter aircraft.

Pete
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Pete,

You were correct about it being a bug in the flight control software. The pilot wasn't injured, but one wonders in hindsight if the test couldn't have been performed at high altitude at low speed. The only variable missing would be ground effect. The test pilots who were interviewed blamed management for the aircraft loss. I'm not sure the crash qualifies as controlled flight into terrain though. One can see the conflicts in the FCS as the vectored thrust and control surfaces do strange gyrations before the belly landing.

John
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?