Monday, June 05, 2006

Wayward Son

I pulled out my Kansas Leftoverture CD the other day and listened to a few songs. I felt instant self-recognition with Carry On Wayward Son .

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher
But I flew too high


I've done that, felt the bliss and ecstasy as I glimpsed beyond the illusion of this World. But the Bliss didn't last, and I came crashing down as Icarus did after losing his wings and gravity embraced him - as the illusion embraced me again.

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man


Yes, I am still a blind man and a mad man. This causes me pain because I long to see and be sane.

And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know.


I knew who I was when I glimpsed the Truth, but I don't know who I am now.

On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune


I've been buffeted by the storms of Life. Tossed about by events and emotions beyond my control like a ship in a storm. To believe that I directly control my destiny was one of the worst egoic delusions I believed in.

Carry on, you will always remember
Carry on, nothing equals the splendor


Yes! I remember! No joy comes close except maybe sharing the experience with another.

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more


This mad world wearies me. I have strived in my own little way to make it a better place, to leave it better than when I came into it. All that has come to naught thus far. (It was folly.) I lay my weary head down every night and try not to cry at my futile efforts and from my own pain. I await the Peace that I know is my reward when I become my True Self, although I would gladly postpone the moment for myself if another I care about as myself were granted that gift at the same time or even before me.

Carry On My Brothers and Sisters.
Comments:
Speaking the truth is very incredible. Trying to change the world, which some call 'maya' is an endless task that leads no where. There's nothing to cry about, even if it looked different, what would it matter. What is Real will always be, is not changeable. When the illusion of the world is seen for what it really is, it is understood that there is no need to alter it.
 
Yes, I know the folly of trying to change the World. There are some things of beauty that need to be preserved so that they can be allowed to change and evolve. I can do my own small part to conserve them. If my efforts help that's okay. If they don't, then it was meant to be that my help was misdirected, and I was wrong.
 
Zen Master: "Who binds you?"
 
How shall I grasp it? Do not grasp it. That which remains when there is no more grasping is the Self.
--Panchadasi
 
Peace to you-
 
anonymous, bloody defeatist attitude, goes with your name, no body, nothing, the world is not an illusion, your perception of it is, obviously for you all wrong.

the world, real, ugly and needs changing, run, hide, bury your head in the dirt, deny, live with the dogs, claim to be better, blissed out don't make it go away.
 
Jim,

It's okay. It will all be okay. Do not let that guy upset you. He's gotten to me a few times, but that is his enjoyment. Perhaps he is just speaking the truth or he is just saying it to upset people. If the latter, than you've let him get the best of you. If the former, than reflect on his message. Besides, there seem to be two anonymous posters now on this site. One is a kind, insightful advisor and the other is pretty much a flamer. Don't let such a one ignite your emotions. Sometimes, this is easier said than done.

John
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?