Saturday, April 01, 2006

Before Enlightenment

"Before enlightenment I chopped wood and carried water; after enlightenment, I chopped wood and carried water."
Zen Proverb

Commentary:
All enlightenment means is that how you view life changes. Your perspective changes. You have a new view of what reality really is. You experience reality fully rather than just being lost in compulsive thought. Life goes on even though how you view Life has changed. You may be changed inside, but you still have daily chores related to living on the outside.
Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Sorry, some typographical error.
I wouldn't see these as chores. This is life itself. These are probably more important than your thoughts.
Well, you need your thoughts too.
There is no such thing as unconditioned state of mind. Just a thought.
 
I heard a Guru talk Bliss, for him it meant not caring or considering anyone else in this physical world. Is that "unconditional thought", and is that the goal of a man?
 
Well you guys are no doubt familiar with the zen ox herding pictures, but for any who may not be the last one is like that bald "fat Buddha" guy in the marketplace with a staff and a gourd and the verse reads:

Barefoot and naked of breast, I mingle with the people of the world.
My clothes are ragged and dust-laden, and I am ever blissful.
I use no magic to extend my life, now before me the dead trees become alive.


Now the last part is interesting, because in contrast to not caring for anyone 'else', it's like this guy enlivens things around him. Everything might appear to be the same on the surface, but it's not whether you have to chop wood, carry water, carry water weight as a fat guy or in your gourd or whatever, it's a matter of coming alive of course. So in that sense there is something active going on, and is more than a shift of perspective.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?