Friday, March 24, 2006

Knowing

There are three ways of knowing a thing. Take for instance a flame. One can be told of the flame, one can see the flame with his own eyes, and finally one can reach out and be burned by it. In this way, we Sufis seek to be burned by God.
Unknown Sufi Scholar

Do not believe anything on the mere authority of teachers or priests. Accept as true and as the guide to your life only that which accords with your own reason and experience, after thorough investigation. Accept only that which contributes to the well-being of yourself and others.
Buddha
Comments:
Captivating metaphore about the flame.

I am still working on tring to see what is before me. What would it mean to actually experience something? I don't think I can know that but the metaphore taunts me.
 
I agree with Beard. That is a very intriguing metaphor. I want to be burned, too. Like John Cougar Mellencamp sang, "Make it hurt so good."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?